Radon is a cancer-causing radioactive gas. You cannot see, smell or taste radon, but it may be a problem in your home.
Radon is a national environmental health problem and elevated radon levels have been discovered in every state.
The US EPA estimates that as many as 8 million homes throughout the country have elevated levels of radon.
Current state surveys show that 1 homes in 5 has elevated radon levels.
The Surgeon General has warned that radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer in the United States today. If you smoke and your home has high radon levels, you're at high risk for developing lung cancer.
Some radon exposure studies indicate that children may be more sensitive to radon.
How are you exposed to radon?
The primary routes of exposure to radon are inhalation and ingestion. Radon may be present in the ground, groundwater, or building materials and may enter working and living spaces as colorless, odorless radon gas.
If your home has high concentrations of radon there are ways to reduce it to acceptable levels. Most radon problems can be fixed by a do-it-yourself kit for less than $500. If you prefer the assistance of a professional you may wish to check the list of certified radon mitigators for your state